Saturday, April 25, 2015

Dewey's Book 4: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Several years ago, I managed to snag a ticket to see Neil Gaiman when he was doing a tour for the Ocean at the End of the Lane. Getting to hear him read this book in person was really something - he is pretty darn eloquent. It had the desired effect of getting me to buy it, but for some reason I never quite got around to finding out how the story ends. I had too much on my plate to read, or the books from the library that week were too enticing. Most of all, I think I just didn't want to ruin the memory of the reading in case the rest of the book turned out to be a dud, as some reviewers had hinted might happen. (NB: Ignorance is bliss. Spread the word.)

Today I sat down and read it. In one go. Captivated. It wraps you up in the world he's created of regular people and "varmints" and "fleas" and Hempstocks. A world where people can have a side of the house that only ever shows the full moon, no matter what quarter it should be. A world where an entire ocean can be contained in a pond. And where a property boundary can be life-changing, literally. He introduces us to a homewrecking supervillain named Ursula Monkton. And a new use for old toys. There's bravado. Fear. Mystery of many kinds. And sacrifice. It had my heart pounding and my brain bemused several times.

Good job, Neil. 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment